Totally Rad Show noted that on this day in 1999 Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace released to theaters which makes me feel old.
Here are some interesting facts.
12 years ago on this day…
- … most people didn’t yet realize how much the story sucked - still in zOMG-THAT-WAS-AWESOME mode
- … I had no idea who played the decoy Queen Amidala (a girl named Keira Knightley or something)
- … I had an AMAZING Diamond Rio 600 32MB MP3 player (it could JUST hold an album at crappy bit-rates)
- … The very first iPod was still two years in the future
- … I had a Hotmail account (actually still do)
- … The CLOSEST thing I used to a “Social Network” was AIM
- … AsianAvenue was 2 years old by this time, but I didn’t use it
- … LiveJournal was one month old
- … I knew how to make a website, but it was fugly. WTF is CSS?
- … Apple was still in trouble and the iBook did not yet exist (although the colorful iMac was gaining popularity)
- … Mac OS 9 was still in development and Mac OS X was two years in the future
- … Tablets were a miseriable, horrible failure (as I type this in the SquareSpace iPad app)
- … Bluetooth 1.0 spec was defined, but almost no one knew what Bluetooth was
- … I had a computer with a brand new Pentium III processor (500 MHz) and an incredible 14GB hard drive
- … Zip Disks were the way people moved data
- … I searched the internet with DogPile
- … I used IE5 because, well, it was the best and Netscape 4.x was getting super-old
- … I was still two years away from having a cell phone (the obligatory Nokia 33xx)
Actually, this post makes me realize how MUCH happened in the year 2001.